Sunday, April 13, 2008

Construction begins


So I was compelled to build something and the dome hit me. After sitting on the idea for about 5 years I finally have started! It will be a 3V dome that is 14 feet in diameter.

For those of you that don't know what a 3V is check out the Desert Domes site I have a link for at the right hand side of the page.
I'm using (or re-using) wood from pallets. As I have access to a good supply of them from work and local warehouses. Many of these are made from oak.

The hub is a 3 1/2 dia PVC conduit pipe cut to 3 inches in length. This particular triangle is for the 6 sided portion of the dome. Each hub has 2 holes drilled into it every 60 degrees. The 2x4 is cut at a 12 degree angle at each end.

The 5 sided portions of the dome will have the ends cut at a 10 degree angle and the center hub will have the holes drilled at 72 degrees.
The PVC pipe was left over from a potato canon we built a couple of years ago. Total cost $0.00

No comments: